Have Kids, Will Travel: Family Activities in Aspen, Colorado
Aug 6, 2015
Time together is one crucial element that’s missing from most of our daily lives. When you travel, you share unique experiences that will bond your family for years to come. Sure, it can sometimes be a bit tough, but there are some moments so magical that you’ll never want to go back home.
Kids slow you down. (And yes, this is a good thing.) As adults, we’re often tempted to try to see it all, and in doing so, we miss a lot. Vacationing with your children forces you to slow down and really enjoy where you are, and what you’re doing.
And joy! Kids unequivocally embrace the fun in life; they make you do goofy things that you never would have tried as an adult. It’s fun to let your hair down once in a while, and vacationing with your kids is the perfect excuse.
You’ve got kids with boundless energy, and Auberge has got you covered in the activities department so you don’t have to plan! There are so many ways to relish Aspen, both indoors and out.
Here is a list of our favorite summer and winter activities for you and your kids during your stay at Hotel Jerome. Contact the Jerome concierge at (877) 916-5430 or firstname.lastname@example.org today to book your reservations!
- Whitewater Rafting: Splash! Have you ever tried whitewater rafting? No trip to the Colorado Rockies would be complete without it, as it is the ultimate Colorado experience. Aspen is home to three area rivers (Roaring Fork, Colorado and Arkansas) that have everything from Class IV whitewater to more mellow day floats to accommodate the whole family via raft, kayak, ducky, or stand-up paddleboard.
- Mini-Golf: FORE! The Silver Circle Ice Rink, located at the base of Aspen Mountain transforms into a miniature golf course during Aspen’s summer months. The location can’t be beat and the kids will be entertained day or night with this family fun activity.
- Aspen Historical Society: Who said history isn’t fun? Teach your kids about Aspen’s rich historical background, starting with the Ute Indians, onto the Mining Boom, to the establishment of life as a ski town. The Aspen Historical Society offers a variety of different tours during the winter season as well.
- Smuggler Mine Tours: The hike up Smuggler Mountain is more than just a hike – did you know that beneath the hike is one of the most prominent and productive of Colorado’s silver mines? The Smuggler generated a record-breaking nugget of nearly pure silver that weighed close to a ton! This exciting, guided tour takes trekkers into the mine and demonstrates firsthand how challenging the mining of the 19th century was.
- Silver Queen Gondola: Pure bliss on top of the mountain – the view from 11,212 ft. isn’t too shabby. Come ride the Silver Queen Gondola all the way to the very top of Aspen Mountain. Once you’re there, try out the climbing wall or take the plunge with Eurobungy. If that’s not your forte, there’s disc golf, an obstacle course and the ever-popular silver nugget dig! Mine for silver and take your silver nuggets home as a souvenir. Have lunch at the Sundeck or have Hotel Jerome arrange a picnic!
- Ski – or – Snowboard: Prepare the little ones with lessons from several ski and snowboard schools. Classes are available for all ages and abilities. Ride down the slopes with your brood. The family trails envelop adventurous and interactive kids’ trails, a children’s race arena, picnic areas and beginner terrain park and half pipes for the youngsters. An added bonus: kids ages 6 and under always ski/snowboard for FREE at Aspen and Snowmass!
- Snowcat to Burlingame Cabin: Experience a family snowcat ride for an evening filled with sing-a-longs and a great BBQ dinner at the Burlingame Cabin. This on-mountain Snowmass restaurant is your destination for an extraordinary night of western, family-style mountain dining. Your family will travel to and from the cabin in snowcats while enjoying wonderful views, food, and live entertainment.
- T-Lazy-7 Snowmobile Tour: Take a scenic snowmobile tour to the world-famous Maroon Bells. Besieged by the pristine National Forest lands, the Maroon Bells are the most photographed peaks in North America, and T-Lazy-7’s snowmobile tours are the most scenic and beautiful in all of Colorado. Enjoy a cup of hot cocoa and explore the majestic Aspen groves with the only operation permitted to offer rides all the way up to the Maroon Bells.
- Ice Skating: Nothing says winter quite like the vision of children twirling around an ice rink at the bottom of Aspen Mountain underneath a sky full of stars. Here in Aspen you can live out that vision at several indoor and outdoor ice skating rinks. From the low-key Aspen ice Garden to the NHL-sized Lewis Ice Rink to the outdoor SK8, Aspen has something for ice skaters of all ages and abilities.
- Storytelling, Sing-A-Longs, & S’Mores by the Campfire: Listen to tales of the Old West from master storytellers and sing along to your favorite classic camp tunes while roasting marshmallows and drinking hot chocolate at the campfire in Snowmass Village.
Enjoy your stay at Hotel Jerome, and remember to contact the concierge to help make this family vacation your most memorable and magical yet.
Hotel Jerome, An Auberge Resort
330 East Main Street, Aspen, CO 81611