10 Essentials: Packing for Your Costa Rica Vacation
Aug 31, 2015
If you’re reading this, your trip to Hacienda AltaGracia is probably right around the corner! We’re guessing this means that your focus has likely shifted from what you’re going to do and see when visiting our Costa Rica resort, to what you’re going to need while you’re there. So begins the saga of packing. Let us make it easy for you. Take a look at our Costa Rica packing list. Here we’ve added a mix of common travel needs with Costa Rica-specific suggestions to help you take on the daunting task of vacation packing.
- Clothing – As a general rule, keep it casual. Costa Rica is a particularly casual country. Unless you have business meetings or social affairs that require nicer attire, leave it behind and stick to what’s comfortable. A nice sundress with sandals or pair of khaki slacks and a polo shirt will usually suffice for those special dinners. It is also important to consider the humidity and the activities you will be participating in. Packing quick-dry, dry-fit and/or similar clothes is highly encouraged.
- Shoes – If you plan on going hiking or walking, hiking boots and sturdy sneakers are a must for exploring Costa Rica. Waterproof shoes are even better if you plan to do activities such as explore the waterfalls or go whitewater rafting. Our Auberge Adventures are part of what makes your trip so extraordinary, and we want you to be as prepared as possible.
- Raincoat or light waterproof jacket – Although Costa Rica’s rainy season falls between May and November, it’s smart to pack a lightweight raincoat or, at the very least, a poncho. Do not pack an umbrella, as it cannot be used during many of your outdoor expeditions. Of course you will have already checked the weather for your trip, but it’s always better safe than sorry!
- Sun care – This includes sunscreen, lip balm, and after-sun aloe. When choosing a sunscreen, it is always better to stay away from chemicals and opt for the natural brands. If your sunscreen of choice contains any of the following, toss it!
- Disodium EDTA
- Padimate O
Instead, choose a chemical-free sunscreen that uses zinc oxide, titanium dioxide and natural minerals to shield the sunrays. The same goes for lip balm, which is an important factor that sunbathers often forget. Make sure your lip balm has SPF to avoid the dreaded lip burn. And just in case you do get burnt, don’t forget the organic aloe for its healing characteristics.
- Insect repellent – Costa Rica is known for its creepy crawlers, and unless you’re ok with insects, we recommend bringing the bug spray. Much like your sun care products, you should avoid certain chemicals when purchasing insect repellent. The number one chemical to avoid here is called DEET (N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide), as it has been proven to not only have negative impacts on your health but also on the wildlife and water sources.
- Hats – Of course you’re going to be outdoors soaking up all Costa Rica has to offer, so you wouldn’t want to forget your hat! Ladies, a wide brim sun hat is the ultimate chic option for the beach. Gentlemen, your ball caps will do just fine.
- Water bottle – Though probably the most widely known health tip, staying hydrated is often overlooked. While you are out exploring on your Auberge Adventures, staying properly hydrated is the most important consideration to remember. Purchasing glass water bottles are the easiest way to ensure your products are BPA free, however steel will suffice. If you can only remember one thing when you’re trying to decide on a bottle, remember: NO PLASTIC!
- Two swimsuits – Yes, that’s right. TWO swimsuits. Here is the perfect time to adopt the wear one, dry one policy. Nobody wants to put on a cold, damp suit and spend the start of his or her day feeling uncomfortable.
- Dry bags – Dry bags are essential not just for your beach days but also for those Auberge Adventures, as most of them involve water. These bags are also good for just keeping humidity off your valuable electronics. Available in all sizes, from pocket-sized pouches to hefty 20-liter bags, they are convenient and easy to pack. They also come in handy when you are packing up your suitcase and find that pesky bathing suit that hasn’t finished drying!
- Binoculars – Binoculars are not essential per se, however you will be sorely disappointed without them. For most, these are once in a lifetime experiences that you don’t want to miss out on. We recommend an 8×42 lens to ensure you get that closer look at the exquisite wildlife that Costa Rica has to offer.
Now, before visiting one of the top Costa Rica resorts in AltaGracia, don’t forget to grab your passport, print your boarding pass, and have the vacation of a lifetime.
If you are interested in booking your next getaway to Hacienda AltaGracia, give us a call at: (855) 452-6326.