Top 10 Easy Things You Can Do to Be “Green” this Month!
Apr 5, 2013
Every little bit helps! You can have a powerful impact on the environment with these 10 easy and low-cost ways to be more “green” this month (and save a little money too)!
1. Change a lightbulb: use compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) instead of traditional incandescent bulbs for brighter and more efficient ways of lighting! They use up to 75% less energy and last 10 times longer!
2. Shop from local farmers: buying local means fresher, tasty ingredients! Food typically travels over 1,000 miles before it gets to your grocery store, so support your local farmer!
3. Unplug when not in use: appliances and electronics use energy even when they aren’t turned on! Unplug your toaster, television, and printers when you’re not using them.
4. Look for the ENERGY STAR label: if an appliance or product qualifies has this label, it meets energy efficient standards. There are also rebates and tax credits for using some of these products!
5. Collect rainwater: next time there is a storm, collect the rainwater in a bucket or pail to water your houseplants and garden in the future!
6. Fix your leaks: a leaky faucet or toilet can waste more than 3,000 gallons of water each year! For information on easy ways to fix your leaks, check out the EPA’s guide here: http://www.epa.gov/watersense/our_water/fix_a_leak.html
7. Skip bottled water: Invest in a water filter to purify your tap water. Bottled water is expensive and wastes tons of plastic! Purchase a cute aluminum reusable water bottle to save money and reduce waste.
8. No more paper-or-plastic: invest in a few reusable cloth grocery bags to take to the supermarket, mall, or farmers market!
9. Recycle your electronics: next time you upgrade consider donating your cell phone or computer to a charity program. Electronic waste contains harmful mercury and other toxins that are dangerous to the environment and your health.
10. Plant an herb garden: grow your own flavorful herbs in a garden or small pot on a window sill for natural and fresh ingredients at your fingertips
Auberge wishes you a happy Earth Month!