Auberge du Soleil Improves on Perfection by Unveiling Luxurious New Maison Calais La Plage
- RUTHERFORD, CALIFORNIA (October 1, 2015) – Auberge du Soleil, the iconic flagship of Auberge Resorts and Napa Valley’s legendary romantic inn, is pleased to announce the continued evolution of its heritage of distinctive refinement with a stunning new design by famed San Francisco interior designer, Suzanne Tucker, of Tucker & Marks, Inc. beginning with the four rooms in the new Maison Calais La Plage.
- Originally fashioned by renowned designer Michael Taylor channeling the rustic sophistication of Provence, Taylor protégé and San Francisco interior designer Suzanne Tucker expands on his timeless vision for Auberge du Soleil’s maisons by creating the quintessential private villa through elegant organic design. Inspired by the colors of the South of France, Tucker’s design creates a romantic, country inn atmosphere through a muted color palette of sand, pale terracotta and ocher. She ensures each room is unique and distinct continuing Auberge du Soleil’s tradition of luxury and comfort with customized details utilizing bespoke fabrics and textiles. Tucker celebrates the abundant beauty of the Napa Valley by bringing the outside in with oak headboards and dramatic embroidery inspired by the 16th Century “Tree of Life” tapestry symbolizing growth, renewal and abundance. Bookshelves filled with objects reflective of home lend a residential, personal feel to the warm and inviting rooms.
- “Our approach to the new maisons at Auberge du Soleil is to retain the original iconic essence of Provence while continuing to evolve and customize the rooms to best accommodate the way our guests live,” said George Goeggel, Managing Partner of Auberge du Soleil. “The new design enhances the luxurious and tranquil haven away from home Auberge experience.”
- The new open layout of the guestroom extends into a sumptuous bathroom filled with natural light from the skylight overhead highlighting the muted palette of the light, honey-toned wood while the basket weave mosaic tiling combines traditional and contemporary colors for added dimension and warmth. The addition of sculptural bathtubs, heated limestone floors and detailed stonework make for an exquisitely relaxing spa-like environment, providing a true sense of serenity and escape. Maison exteriors feature ipé trellises and decks, iron-forged sconces and custom colored pale stucco evocative of classic French country styling.
- Auberge du Soleil was the vision of legendary French-born restaurateur Claude Rouas, who sought to recreate the sun-drenched ambiance of Provence in the California Wine Country. Perched on the slope of Rutherford Hill overlooking Napa Valley, Auberge du Soleil quickly gained recognition as one of the leading restaurants in Northern California, not only for its superb cuisine, but also its spectacular views of the valley below. In 1985, responding to guest demand, Rouas and business partner Robert Harmon opened the inn, a collection of sun- and earth-toned maisons housing 50 rooms and suites, each with French doors opening onto private terraces and sweeping views of olive groves and the vine-studded valley. As with the restaurant, the maisons were the work of influential designer Michael Taylor, who infused his “California Style” of over scaled furniture, dramatic fabrics and sculptural accessories with the essence of Provence. The suites enchanted guests with their elegantly rustic furnishings, handmade tile floors, abstract paintings and French doors leading to private terraces and panoramic views of the Napa Valley.
- Today, the Auberge has evolved into one of America’s most sought-after small luxury hotels and a perennial recipient of the highest accolades from the hospitality industry, discriminating guests and the media. Auberge du Soleil is a member of Relais & Châteaux, the most prestigious collection of small luxury hotels and restaurants in the world. With the introduction of the new Maison Calais La Plage, Suzanne Tucker continues the design evolution of Auberge du Soleil’s tradition of excellence, luxury and comfort for its loyal guests and the next generation of guests to follow.
- About Tucker & Marks Design Inc.
- Tucker & Marks designs custom high-end interiors for all types of clients. For 25 years, their mission has been one and the same: To create personalized living environments that their clients are proud to call home. Designing dream retreats and beautiful, livable spaces with an emphasis on the finest quality and superior service is the top priority at Tucker & Marks. The Tucker & Marks philosophy is to combine style, sophistication, luxury, comfort and appropriateness to create homes that endure — elegant and refined, approachable and inviting, enjoyable and unforgettable. For more information please visit www.tuckerandmarks.com.
- MEDIA CONTACTS:
- Adryn Miller / Brooke Badger
- Murphy O’Brien, Inc.
- (310 )586 7119